What’s the difference between a creative person and a non creative person? The answer is nothing. Well, okay, there might be one or two habits people who are labelled ‘creative’ have developed that make them successful. Let me spill the beans.
I went to a creativity event in Nottingham a few months back where creatives ranging from architects to authors and from fashion designers to web designers shared their road to creativity. Here are some of the top tips I collected on enhancing your creativity:
1. Record your ideas, whether it be by dictaphone, notebook, sketch pad or phone, whatever you do, get them down as they occur to you. You will forget them otherwise, no matter how brilliantly they seem to burn at the time.
2. Use social media as a sounding board. Simeon Hartwig, the designer behind Bantam clothes uses social media to check out responses to new ideas. Just like bloggers often use Twitter or facebook to pose questions.
3. Say No. Focus on the projects that really excite you.
4. Spend a few minutes in nature every day. Sounds corny, but my best ideas come the minute I step out of my front door after a morning sitting stuck at my desk.
5. Nurture your inner child and learn from children, who aren’t afraid to write, draw, improvise and invent freely. Visualising your ideas is powerful. Ricky from Livescribes, who help people and businesses do just that, got us drawing each other.
|I accidentally gave my friends beards. So I scribbled them out. How did drawing get so icky as a grown up?|
6. Problem solve. Creativity isn’t an ability, talent or gift, creativity is finding the solutions to the obstacles in your path.
7. Places can spark your creativity. Author Nicola Monaghan uses the example of moving back to her hometown of Nottingham as the catalyst for her career as a writer. But, you don’t have to move, just visit, or revisit.
8. Say Yes. Don’t be afraid to try something, to ‘drive in the dark’. You don’t always need to know where you are going.
9. Don’t be afraid of limited resources. Hartwig’s best design came the day he forgot his materials and was forced to improvise with the I heart NY t shirt off his back. He graffiitised it to say I heart Notts and it sold, lots.
10. It helps to surround yourself with other people who are open to creative journeys.
Good Luck, enjoy the journey. And why not check out these creative tips from Filmmaker and Honestmum Vicki.